Where am I??

Friday, October 17, 2008

finding sanctuary

quite a long extract. but worth the read. some gems here...

"..Virtue is the recognition of the sacred in daily life. As we open the door of virtue in our personal and working lives, we will open the way into a sanctuary of peace for ourselves and for others. We are enabled to lead a unified life with the same values at home and at work, a life that is transparent and has nothing to hide...

Yes indeed, virtue is a narrow door, but the space beyond that door is infinite the infinite space of real sanctuary. The sanctuary that you purchase as a holiday or as a therapy comes to an end; the myth of endless consumption is just that: a myth. As we enter sanctuary through virtue rather than by buying our way in, we can choose to leave consumption outside the door. By entering through this door, we can concentrate on creating new and sacred places in the large space that lies beyond consumption. Virtue is the true door into the sanctuary of infinite space."

2 comments:

David said...

To me it seems almost paradoxical that you can have a sanctuary, a place of refugee made of infinite space. My sanctuaries have primarily been smaller places, my room, my cafe, my office, my crowds. To me a sanctuary is a place to retreat from the world and then move on to return to the rest of the world. I guess though if we find sanctuary everywhere, then there would be no need to retreat, and our worlds could be joined. Which I take it is the point of that first sentence. I though have ranted to long to delete this now though..

Vanora F said...

i guess the question now leads to... 'what is virtue?'
it seems that virtue holds the key to the door... of infinite space of the sacred whichs leads and blends into our daily lives...

this is way deep!