Where am I??

Thursday, May 10, 2007

ALF... Whatever happened to the 80's alien?


Did he just shrink back with all the other 80's styled bad perms, oversized tshirts and belts… fluoro coloured socks with flat shoes and the mainstreaming of the 'mullet'?

I actually HATED the show ALF. I thought he was just creepy…… I mean. Its one thing to LOVE sesame street muppets ( a dream of mine was to become a muppeteer at one stage)… however.. Alf's insatiable desire to eat cats… and bad table manners… it made a whole generation of tv sitcoms think twice about introducing a puppet into the real world…. Imagine life for Gary Coleman if he was a puppet instead of a legalised midget? (ahem, I'm not being very politically correct)… ' WHATCHA talkin' about WILLIS?'….

Crazy.

Did I mention other 80's faux pas that should not have been allowed into society? It included… skinny jeans and high waisted grey stonewash (ew)…. Plus… mismatching bright coloured tshirts…. Oversized perms or shortened hair for chicks… anything stilletto-ee with patent leather (ahem….)

Well. If the ladiez havent already noticed, the fashions have turned that direction…

I mean, I am not an exception to reviving the patent leather… I did buy a pair of cool black patent leather shoes in New York… but they're not stilleto… so I think I'm ok for not trying to look like a hooker… or the glamourising of prostitution ala Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman'…

Speaking of Pretty women… I watched ' Bring it On' dvd (or 'deeweedee' if you are trying chinglish for the first time!) last nite with Kat and Esther… I liked the lines about ' Big Red'… " she puts the ITCH in B**&^!"… too funny.


Anyhoo...
Other 80's movies that I do have time for though… although not her final prom dress… Molly Ringwald starring in 'Pretty in Pink.'… you do know that the only reason I actually really love that film is my big crush on 'Andrew McCarthy'. He appears to be a dag at first… but if you watch the movie, he's actually a really good guy in the end! He doesn’t care so much that despite the fact that she's from the 'wrong side' of the tracks… as opposed to his 'pedigree'… that she's actually not all that attractive?

But goes to show even James Spader couldn’t have her… and he plays a real A** in the film…. Ok.

I think I'm getting way too into these 80's movies review…

Other favourite films I must highlight are these:

Girls just want to have fun
The Breakfast Club
Back to the Future
Sixteen Candles
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure… ( I have a funny story about watching this a few years ago with some year 7-8 kids on a ski camp… boy did this movie look CHEAP. They HATED it!!!)

Weekend at Bernies
(not to mention Terminator haha- Linda hamilton with a perm!--)'
Superman Episode 24
Not to mention Star Wars...


Any other cheeze ball spoofs you guys are into? What's your favourite cheezy movie? I've had a mental blank for further 80's movies.. Refresh my memory!!!

No comments: